If you’re currently breastfeeding your babe or pregnant and intending to nurse then keep these nutrition tips in mind.
1. Drink 2.6L water daily, more if exercising. Herbal decaf tea counts but regular black tea and coffee don’t as they have diuretic effect. We need good hydration to healthy lactation.
2. Up calories by 500-700 per day. Focus on quality nutrition in foods not Mars bars and milkshakes.
3. Increase protein intake to 2g / kg body weight. Protein requirements sit between 1-1.5G/kg body weight in pregnancy but the demands increase when feeding. Try to include protein rich foods in both meals and snacks
4. Focus on DHA rich foods to support baby’s and your brain function and cognition. Enjoy fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, herring, trout, algae oil, flaxseeds, walnuts, seaweed and eggs. Iron rich foods go for dark leafy greens, legumes, tofu nuts and seeds. Team iron rich vegetarian foods with vitamin c rich foods for improved bioavailability.
5. Eat plenty of wholefood carbohydrates/ not refined ones. Focus on oats, barley, buckwheat, pumpkin, sweet potato, beetroot.
Want to learn more? Join myself and co-founder, Brittany Darling on our new venture at @dayonefertility