The colours in this dish are literally exploding and I’m feeling very excited about it all! Pan fried snapper warm tomato fennel asparagus salad all made in the same pan within 10 minutes of cooking – how easy is that? A great range of nutrients including:
- protein and zinc in snapper for growth, immune function, and cell communication
- Vitamin C and lycopene in tomato to support / reduce impacts of stress and support cardiovascular health
- potassium in fennel for heart health, muscle contraction / relaxation, cell communication, and folate for protein metabolism, synthesis of DNA/RNA and to reduce risk neural tube defects in pregnancy
- quercetin (flavonoid) in red onion for antioxidant activity and to help reduce risk cardiovascular disease / cancer…it goes on but you hear me when I say this dish is abundant with nutrition!
A few extra cooking / ingredient tips for you…
- Use your choice of white fish in this recipe – whiting, blue eye or barramundi would
also be delicious.
- Add some olives, anchovies and any herbs of your choice to this dish
- Swap baby
rocket for shredded kale or baby spinach.
Find the full recipe below and be sure to tag @brownpapernutrition on instagram if you make it!
PAN FRIED SNAPPER WITH WARM TOMATO FENNEL ASPARAGUS SALAD
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
4 x 200g snapper fillets, skin on
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp baby capers, rinsed,
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
300g baby tomatoes, halved
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths
1 baby fennel, thinly sliced, fronds reserved
Zest and juice of 1 lemon +extra wedges, to serve
Baby rocket leaves, parsley leaves, to serve
Pat fish dry with paper towel. Using a sharp knife, cut three slashes into the skin side of the fish and season with salt and pepper. Heat a large frying pan over high heat and add half the oil. Place the fish skin-side down in the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Turn fish and cook on other side for 2-3 minutes or until the fish is just cooked. Set aside on a plate loosely covered with foil to keep warm. Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 1 minute. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add capers and chilli and cook for a further minute. Add tomatoes and asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes or until warmed through. Remove from heat and add fennel, lemon zest and juice and baby rocket to the pan. Season and toss to coat. Serve fish with tomato mixture, fennel fronds, parsley leaves and lemon wedges.